Mary Lou Harkins
Chief Deputy Clerk
100 Court Street
Po Box 430
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Clerk's Business is Your business!
The duties of the county clerk are established in the New Mexico Constitution and fall under four main areas:
- Recorder of the county, on behalf of the Board of County Commissioners.
- Chief election officer responsible for the administration of elections in the county.
- Clerk of the Probate Court in handling informal proceedings only.
- Miscellaneous duties such as those of notary public, administration
of oaths, certification of acknowledgments, declarations, instruments
Matters pertaining to elections in Union County are handled
by the Bureau of Elections, which is a subsidiary office of the clerk's
The county clerk is responsible for keeping records, resolutions and
ordinances adopted by the Board of County Commissioners. The county
clerk serves as secretary to the commission and performs the following
- Records in a book all proceedings of the board; makes regular
entries of all resolutions and decisions in all questions concerning the
raising of money; and records the vote of each commissioner on any
question submitted to the board if requested by any member.
- Signs all orders issued by the board for the payment of money,
records the action and records the receipts of the county treasurer that
show the income and expenditures of the county.
- Preserves and files all accounts acted upon by the commission,
noting the board's action and performing such special duties as required
- Maintains files of all newspapers published within the county.
- Issues marriage licenses and other permits and licenses.
- Receives nominations and petitions, registers voters, and supervises the preparation of election ballots.
- Serves as clerk to the local court if state law does not provide for such an official.
Clerk's Notice to the Public
CLERKS WILL NOT CONDUCT SEARCHES (THEY CAN PROVIDE A LIST OF LOCAL ABSTRACT AND TITLE COMPANIES UPON REQUEST).
CLERKS CANNOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE ON WHETHER THE DOCUMENTS YOU WANT
RECORDED ARE CORRECT, COMPLETE OR LEGALLY SUFFICIENT FOR YOUR PURPOSES
(PLEASE SEE AN ATTORNEY).
THE CLERKS WILL ASSIST YOU IN ANY OTHER WAY POSSIBLE. WE ARE HERE TO
RECORD AND FILE YOUR DOCUMENTS AS PUBLIC RECORD AND MAINTAIN THEM FOR
YOUR FUTURE USE.